I am delighted to announce the launch of ‘Throwback Thursdays @ ESA‘… where we will feature, each week, one ‘classic’ recording from the ESA Performance Archives.
For our first feature we present the digitised copy of the recording of the ESA Mainstage 2000 production of Les Belle Souers by Michel Tremblay.
The stellar cast included (but was not limited to): Nicola Correia-Damude, Suzanne Smith, Nazneen Contractor, Katie Gordon, Deanna Palazzo, Lara Chatterjee, Frank Cox O’Connell, Cat Montgomery, Lorna Wright, and Margaret McBeath. Stage Managed by Emily Essert and ASM’d by Lauren Simmons.
(Apologies, I’ve not found a programme for the show and my memory is not what it used to be… I can remember these names with the help of Susan Bourne and some of you yourselves… I know the list should include some other equally fabulous young people).
FYI… I knew that this would be the first video I posted the moment I came across it last spring. Pure serendipity that I prepared this posting as I watched the pilot episode of Nicola’s new CBC series Burden of Truth. If you didn’t see it you missed a good one. Set your PVR for next week.
I have enjoyed all ESA Mainstages in the years I’ve been here but there was something about this show… it is still – after all these years – my absolute favourite. Perhaps because it was my first official Mainstage – my first full year teaching at ESA – and that I taught most of the cast members – and that they were such a phenomenal group of incredibly talented individuals who meshed so well together as an ensemble in this show…
All members of the ESA Community are invited to participate in our annual New Year’s Draw.
Drop by the Library Circulation Desk and fill out a Happy New Year ballot.
- Tell us about the BEST book you read over the holidays
Every book recommendation submitted will be entered into our New Year’s Draw.
Five lucky winners will go home with a free book! Winners to be drawn on the morning announcements on Thursday January 18th.
Parents and others who aren’t in the building regularly…
- Print a copy of the submission form (what did you read ticket) and send it in with the student in your house, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please be sure to add a notation stating your connection to ESA, as well as how we should contact you should you be one of our lucky winners.
From the online edition of the paper…
- This year’s contest runs until 5 p.m. on Feb. 28.
- The winner will receive $5,000 and a creative writing course from The Humber School for Writers.
- The second-place winner will take home a $2,000 prize, while third place will be awarded $1,000.
- The winner can choose a 30-week creative writing correspondence program, valued at $3,000, at Humber, or a week-long summer workshop, worth $1,000, at the college’s Lakeshore campus in Toronto.
- Stories can be about any topic the entrant chooses, as long as it’s original, unpublished, and amounts to less than 2,500 words. Entries are limited to one per person.
- Submissions will be judged by a panel of the Humber School for Writers and narrowed down to a short list. The three winners will then be selected from that list by city librarian Vickery Bowles, award-winning author and journalist Kamal Al-Solaylee, Toronto Star books editor Deborah Dundas, and the Star’s former theatre critic Richard Ouzounian.
Happy New Year! Did Santa happen to deliver a lovely new turntable to your house?
- If so, drop by and check out the ‘Vintage Vinyl’ available from the ESA Library.
- Lots of great stuff, mostly Classical and Music Theatre, but also lots of random titles and genres.
Brand new vinyl offerings for the New Year include the following:
- Glenn Gould: Bach, The Tocccatas (LP only, no cover)
- John Williams: The Virtuoso Guitar (LP only, no cover)
- Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra with Felix Slatkin (LP only, no cover)
- Andre Watts Plays George Gershwin: Watts by George!
- Gershwin on Broadway: The Buffalo Philharmonic with Michael Tilson Thomas
- A Portrait of George: Gershwin on Broadway & In Hollywood: Cincinnati Pop Orchestra, Conducted by Erich Kunzel
Various: Pop, Rock, Contemporary, Broadway
- Peaches & Herb: 2 Hot
- Keith Stewart: Yellow Bird
- Donna Summer: Greatest Hits (Record One only)
- Willie Nelson: Pretty Paper
- Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon (LP and jacket only, no cover)***
- Electric Light Orchestra with Olivia Newton John: Xanadu
- Gordon Lightfoot: East of Midnight
- Gordon Lightfoot: Back Here on Earth
- Gordon Lightfoot: Summer Side of Life
- The Beatles: 1967-1970 – The Blue Album (LP’s and jackets only, no cover)***
- Barbra Streisand: Guilty (Feat. Barry Gibb)
- Barbra Streisand: Emotion
- New York New York: Original Motion Picture Score (2 record set… LP only, no cover)
- Hair: Original Cast Recording (multiple copies)
- Mary Martin and Noel Coward: Together with Music (LP only, no cover)
- Noel Coward at Las Vegas (cover in poor condition)
We also have the following. These records definitely need cleaning but we think they should be OK following that.
- The Rolling Stones: Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)***
- Blood Sweat & Tears: Greatest Hits
- Dionne Warwick: Very Dionne
Terms and Conditions
- Single LP’s $2 each
- Double albums $4 each
- Some ***’d items priced individually… ask at the Circulation Desk about these items
Important Reminder: All vinyl is sold in “as is” condition. While we are fairly confident of the “playability” of the albums we are putting out for sale, we cannot make any warranties.
Congratulations to Marion Simmons our latest Just Read It! winner.
- Please drop by the Library to pick up your book.
Reminder to all to submit to Just Read It! every time you finish reading a book… get in the game to win a free book once a month.
The Library will feature holiday themed fun all day today… including some of your favourite winter/holiday movies and musicals.
Drop by and check it out.
We’ll also have special holiday treats while supplies last.